Fyne F501 SP (Special Project)
Time to get serious. The Special Production F501SP is a UK built version of the award-winning F501 loudspeaker. The Fyne F501SP brings much of the driver, crossover and bass tuning expertise from the F700 Series into the more compact and affordable F501 cabinet design.
At its heart is a 150mm IsoFlare driver using the technology and engineering developed for the premium F701 IsoFlare unit. This driver features a multi-fibre mid/bass cone terminated with FyneFlute roll surround and a 25mm magnesium dome compression tweeter with Iso-Flare waveguide set at its centre.
To deliver floor standing scale musical reproduction, the F501SP adds a 150mm low-frequency bass driver to extend the lowest output of the IsoFlare unit. It boasts 91dB/W sensitivity and 180W peak handling.
The standard F501 deploys Fyne’s twin-chamber bass porting system with down-firing BassTrax port and a single layer MDF plinth. However, the F501SP uses a bespoke F700 Series-style aluminium twin layer sandwich plinth and machined aluminium hardware, including top adjustable spikes and knurled locking nuts.
The connection panel has also been upgraded and features a fifth terminal to ground the driver chassis and reduce the influence of RF interference in the circuit. Celebrating this UK Special Production with enhanced cosmetics, the F501SP benefits from diamond machine cut detailing on the aluminium driver chassis, an anodised machined aluminium plinth and the option of a Piano Gloss Walnut real wood veneer finish.
The F501SP’s drive units are linked with a new, highly specified hand-built crossover network and the whole lot is connected with upgraded silver-plated Van Den Hul wiring. Even the cabinets have changed; the panels using denser MDF and lined with three complementary damping materials to control resonances.
"These are truly thrilling speakers that bring music to life in a way that eludes most rivals. If you’re contemplating a purchase at this level, make sure you have a listen before buying anything else"
What HiFi read the review
- System Type - 2 ½ way, downwards firing port, with BassTraxTM Tractrix diffuser*, twin cavity loading system
- Recommended amplifier power (Watt RMS) 30 – 180
- Continuous power handling (Watt RMS) 80
- Sensitivity (2.83 Volt @ 1m) - 91dB
- Nominal impedance - 8 Ohm
- Frequency response (-6dB typical in room) - 36Hz – 34kHz
- Drive unit complement - 1 x 150mm IsoFlare point source driver, multi-fibre bass/midrange cone, FyneFlute surround with 25mm magnesium dome compression tweeter, neodymium magnet system. 1 x 150mm multi-fibre bass cone, FyneFlute surround.
- Crossover frequency - 250Hz & 1.7kHz
- Crossover type - Bi-wired passive low loss, 2nd order low pass, 1st order high pass
- Dimensions - HxWxD - 984 x 288 x 320mm (38.7 x 11.3 x 12.7”)
- Weight - Each - 21.0kg (46.3lb)
- Finishes - Piano Gloss Walnut / Piano Gloss Black / Piano Gloss White