We say: For higher fidelity, you want to move to moving coil cartridges. The Ortofon Quintet Blue is the best cartridge in the under $1000 category.
Why moving coil? In Moving magnet cartridges the higher mass of the magnets connected to the cantilever fight its ability to change direction and follow rapid modulations in the groove. Moving coils are lighter, faster, and more resolving. They have a lower output and need a dedicated step-up MC input on your amplifier.
Along with the moving coil engine, other refinements of the Ortofon Quintet Blue are:
- A nude elliptical diamond is mounted directly onto the cantilever for improved dynamics and transient attack
- A non-resonant body made of Hopelex
- Split pole pins with copper wire
- Output Voltage (at 1kHz, 5cm/sec): 0.5mV
- Channel Balance at 1kHz: <1.5dB
- Channel Separation at 1kHz: >21dB
- Channel Separation at 15kHz: >14dB
- Frequency Range (at -3dB): 20 Hz - 25 kHz
- Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz: ± 2.5dB
- Tracking Ability at 315Hz: 70μm
- Compliance, Dynamic, Lateral: 15μm / mN
- Stylus Type: Nude Elliptical Stylus
- Tip Radius r / R: 8 / 18μm
- Tracking Force Range: 2.1 - 2.5g (21 - 25mN)
- Recommended Tracking Force: 2.3g (23mN)
- Tracking Angle: 20º
- Internal Impedance / DC Resistance: 7Ω
- Recommended Load Impedance: >20Ω
- Cartridge Body Material: ABS/Alu.
- Cartridge Colour: Blue Cartridge Weight: 9g