Ortofon MC Diamond
Fully non-magnetic armature Nude Replicant 100 on Diamond Cantilever Multi Wall Carbon Nano Tube Suspension SLM Manufacturing Technique Wide Range Damping System
By Absolute Sound
"Three paramount virtues triangulate Ortofon’s MC Anna Diamond phono pickup, which retails for a breathtaking US$10,499: phenomenal control, über-transparency, and unprecedented dynamic range (at least in my experience of vinyl). No matter how thick, dense, intricate, or large-scale the source material, nothing seems to faze or frazzle it, including the detritus on so many records that detracts from the musical experience. It exhibits an astonishing clarity, unsurpassed and rarely equaled in pickups with which I have any familiarity. In concert with these qualities is a startling impression of precision, notably when it comes to imaging, soundstaging, and the rendering of whatever sense of location, venue, ambience, and acoustics the recording engineers have managed to capture. Its timing is absolutely impeccable, so it commands attention and demands involvement. Use this pickup for background while reading, writing, doing chores, or even partying, and I predict you’ll soon be too distracted by the music to pay much attention to whatever task is at hand."
read the review in The Absolute Sound
By hi-fi news
"...I don't think I've heard another pick-up so effortlessly gifted across the board.
...if you really want to hear what's in your precious vinyl grooves, you should make sure you audition the MC Diamond."
...the MC Diamond has the gift of generating a wide but incredibly focused soundstage that sets up a huge 3D sonic picture. To call this performance 'immersive' would be something of an understatement.
...And the bass? Oh my goodness, the bass. The sheer power and weight that this pick-up offers up had me grinning from ear to ear.
...the MC Diamond lays just about the best sonic foundation I have encountered.
...With the MC Diamond, Ortofon has advanced the cartridge game once more.
...this Diamond is definitely my new best friend."
Read the full review here
- Output voltage at 1 kHz, 5cm/sec. - 0.2 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz - 0.5 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz - 25 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz - 20 dB
- Frequency response - 20 Hz-20 kHz +/- 2 dB
- Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force - 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 11 µm/mN
- Stylus type - Special polished Nude Ortofon Replicant 100 on Diamond Cantilever
- Stylus tip radius - r/R 5/100 µm
- Tracking force range - 2.5-2.8 g (25-28 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended - 2.6 g (26 mN)
- Tracking angle - 23°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance - 6 Ohm
- Recommended load impedance - > 10 Ohm
- Coil wire material - Ultra pure oxygen free copper
- Cartridge body material - SLM Titanium
- Cartridge colour - Silver/Black
- Cartridge weight - 17.5 g