Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge
The 2M Black is the moving magnet flagship from Ortofon. The 2M Black is graced with a Nude Shibata diamond stylus. Its slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information. Users of the 2M Black will enjoy the benefit of impeccable sound quality, along with reduced record & stylus wear and reduced distortion
Stereophile Recommended Component 2023
"the "ridiculously good" Ortofon 2M Black produced a bright, open sound with "surprising heft and slam."
- The 2M Black's Shibata diamond is finer, and better able to track tiny high frequency groove modulations.
- The cartridge body is manufactured from Hopelex. which fights resonances
- The 2M Black uses a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
TNT Audio, April 2016
Reviewer: Graeme Budd
"...the Ortofon's strengths in detail, imaging, tracking and neutrality make for a compelling case. If you're looking for a cartridge in this price range, be it MM or MC, it should definitely be on your shortlist."
"...When set-up, the Ortofon 2M Black was immediately engaging, sounding powerful and vivid...
...it was natural recordings of full orchestra that confirmed that the 2M Black is a stellar moving-magnet cartridge...
...The 2M Black delivers a holographic imagery worthy of the most sophisticated vinyl replay systems."
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 5 mV
- Channel separation at 1 kHz - 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-31.000 Hz
- Frequency response - 20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type - Nude Shibata
- Tracking force range - 1.4-1.7 g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended - 1.5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle - 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1.2 kOhm
- Internal inductance - 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance - 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Black
- Cartridge weight - 7.2 g
Audiofi is your Ortofon dealer, we ship free in Canada