end of summer sale
KLH model 5
Henry Kloss was a prominent American audio engineer credited as helping advance high-fidelity loudspeaker technology. After college studies in physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and High Fidelity at New York University, Henry went on to found and co-found several well-known audio brands over the course of several decades, this includes Acoustic Research, KLH, Advent, Cambridge SoundWorks and Tivoli.
Henry was fondly dubbed by Wes Phillips of Stereophile Magazine as “The Man Who Changed Audio and Video – Time and Time Again”. He co-developed the first acoustic suspension speaker, and with KLH introduced the world’s first full-range electrostatic speaker.
The Five was a 12-inch 3-way with dual cone midrange drivers, a very solid speaker that served as KLH’s answer to the AR-3 and AR-3a. Together, these three speakers were the heart and backbone of KLH’s very successful 1960s decade and KLH was clearly a major speaker force to be reckoned with because of these models.
An ad for AR stereo speakers from a 1971 music magazine featuring a Miles Davis endorsement
The re-engineered version shocked reviewers with its sound quality.
Model Five acoustic suspension speakers are known as one of the finest and most sought-after speakers for audiophiles, both new and seasoned. The updated version of this classic speaker has real wood veneers, and cast aluminum baskets, and uses acoustic suspension design principles made famous by founder Henry Kloss.
The KLH Model Five vintage speaker is offered in three gorgeous finishes (English Walnut, West African Mahogany, and Nordic Noir), allowing the loudspeaker to blend with all home decor. The English Walnut Model Five comes with a beautiful Stone Wash Linen grille cloth that magnifies the rich finish of the real wood veneers. Meanwhile, our West African Mahogany finish is complemented by an Old-World Linen grille cloth that will stop you in your tracks. And lastly, the Nordic Noir finish is shipped wearing the lovely Medici Grey Linen grille cloth. Want the option of pairing any grille cloth with the finish of your choosing? Don’t worry- you can purchase each style separately.
“The KLH M5s are intoxication kings, urging me to hear my most beloved vinyl via its big personality and well-scaled dimensionality.”
“Mostly, the speaker played with a detailed, sparkling upper/mid/treble chutzpah that favored and seemed to amplify texture and viscosity. Notes had realistic weight and body. These Model Fives are attention-getters of the first order, delivering a big soundstage and big, juicy dynamics.” Stereophile
KLH Model 5 awarded Stereophile Recommended Component status
- Three-way, acoustic suspension, stand-mount loudspeaker with three-position Mid-HF attenuation switch and included metal-frame slant-riser base.
- Driver complement: 1" aluminum-dome tweeter; 4" pulp-paper cone midrange driver; 10" pulp-paper cone woofer. Crossover frequencies: 380Hz and 2850Hz (both 2nd-order).
- Frequency response: 42Hz–20kHz ±3dB.
- Low-frequency extension: –10dB at 32Hz.
- In-room sensitivity: 90.5dB/2.83V/m.
- Free-field sensitivity: 87.5dB/2.83V/m.
- Power handling: 200W, 800W peak.
- Recommended amplification: 20–200W.
- In-room maximum SPL: 112.3dB.
- Nominal impedance: 6 ohms (3.5 ohm minimum at 140Hz). Inputs: gold-plated five-way binding posts.
- Supplied accessory: Slant Riser Base.
- Dimensions: 13.75" (350mm) W × 26" (660mm) H × 11.5" (292mm) D. Weight: 44lb (20kg).
- Finish: English Walnut or West African Mahogany.
- Manufactured in China.
- Iconic Mid-Century Modern Styling
- Acoustic Suspension Design – The most accurate and linear enclosure design available today
- Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control to tailor the loudspeaker’s output for the most difficult acoustic environments
- Dedicated midrange driver to reproduce the critical mid-frequency band
- Non-Resonant Die-Cast Aluminum Midrange & Woofer Frames
- Die-Cast Aluminum Tweeter Faceplate
- KLH cabinetry featuring a structurally reinforced ¾” MDF enclosure
- Thirteen component network using high-quality iron-core inductors & Mylar capacitors
- 5° slant riser base made of powder-coated 14-gauge steel (included with speaker purchase)
- Low-profile magnet attached grille
- 10-Year Warranty